Monday, September 1, 2008

Baptism by fire light...two years ago, remembered











"As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is the water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?" And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away." Acts 8:36-39

As Steve read this passage, I thought "Yeah, why shouldn't they be baptized ?" I know it's dark and our only light is from a couple of tiki torches but, I looked at the faces assembled...how they glowed. I felt the warmth and peace only the presence of the Holy Spirit could bring. A eunuch...a person typically set apart to serve the king...I looked at Damon. He was stretched out in his wheelchair, a cigarette slowly burning in one hand and he said, "I just want to say one thing...I repent for my thoughts, for my lusts, I repent for all I've done and for being a hypocrite..." He laid back, draped his head over this chair and Steve, Devon and Mike encompassed him. "I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit..." The words resounded and sang to the rhythm of the flowing water. Tears moistened Damon's cheeks. There was no eruption of applause but we all felt the deep joy, the peaceful joy of Damon's promise to be set apart to serve his King.

Devon moved onto Zeb. He laid his hands on his head. "How many father's get this opportunity?" I thought. Devon prayed a father's prayer of blessing, of publicly recognizing a 7 year old's heart desire to be baptised. He had begged for this to happen. We were all assembled because of his persistence. "I baptize you..." The water rushed and drenched him. Applause and rejoicing broke out. Faith like a child.

Eric walked up for his turn. His chest bearing the wounds and the scares of a life lived apart from God...a life lived on the streets, the visual marks of sin. Yet, emblazoned over his heart was a cross...sacrifice, mercy, forgiveness. He bows his head ad prays, "Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil. Thy rod and staff they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of mine enemies..." (water, washed white as snow) "You anoint my head with oil. My cup overflows." I went to hug him and he was trembling. Forgiven.

As we began to go back in the house, all I could think about was the poem God had just written. Each stanza had it's own rhyme and yet came together to create it's own hymn.

Wait. Everyone begins to file back outside towards the galvanized tub of water. The torches still flickered and Kristen walks up to be baptized. Kristen? She grew up on the mission field. She emanated the Spirit of God. "Haven't you been baptized already?" "Only as a child," she said. "I have the chance to make this declaration for myself."


The children lit their sparklers. "In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit..." The rushing sound of water, a sparkling light...I layed hands on Kristen to pray for her. I began to laugh. I looked at her and said, "Only Jesus would be so creative to give you sparklers at your baptism!"


Here we were in the dark, but we were lights that broke through the darkness. We were His painting, His song. We had just experienced His anointing. Set apart for the King. Forgiven. Faith like a child. A light in the darkness.

No comments: