Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008





















Golden beets, red beets, turnips and parsnips roasted to perfection! Sweet potatoes married with fennel and baked. A big plump turkey, steaming hot and sparkling ruby red. Sausage, sage, sundried tomato stuffing finished with the perfect crunch of walnuts. Garlicky mashed potatoes. Did I mention a nice glass of red wine? Family. Friends. New aquantances. This made up our Thanksgiving! It was a wonderful evening! But, as we washed the dishes at the end of the night and sliced a piece of apple pie, I couldn't help but think back to the morning. At 8am on Thanksgiving morning, about 50 people came together at a local church. Some had made turkey and others had baked muffins! We had enough food to make 200 dinners. It was amazing! The group that came together, represented 4 different churches! We heated turkey together, mashed potatoes together, plated food and washed dishes together. We circled up for a time of prayer and in unison, recited the Our Father. About 6 teams went out that day. We spilled out all over the city. Some groups didn't have enough food to give out. Others had to hunt in back alleys and unknown places to serve a meal. It was the body of Christ, representing the Thanksgiving table in a tangible way. I met new people that morning. I met Ira who reminded me that there is always something to be grateful for. I met a grandmom who wanted extra plates to share with her friends that were shut ins. I met a lady...who was just talking with a friend and wondering how they would get food that morning.






This Thanksgiving, my table grew a few feet and my "thank you" list, grew a little longer.

No comments: