Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My dining room table


Two Sundays ago, we opened our home for worship. We were blessed to have three gentleman from Nepal. It was an amazing time! There was only 6 of us, and yet when the night ended, Devon and I looked at each other and wondered at how amazing God is!! He gave us a gift. He gave us a glimpse of what heaven will be like. He showed us what the church should be.

We had nothing planned...no agenda. The guitar passed from hand to hand as three men took turns leading us in worship. At times we prayed. At times someone would share what God had been showing them that week. One brother shared about what God was teaching him with regards to Eph. 4:1-16. With passion he talked about all the ligaments working together. He had such a light and joy as he spent time exploring what God meant. "From Him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament grows and builds itself up in love, as EACH part does its work." (v.17) He went on to say that in a house church setting, each person is given room to do his part. Because it is in an intimate setting, everyone has the space and safety to operate in their giftings.

I can't help but think about my dining room table. When Devon and I sit around it with our children eating dinner...each one plays a part. Nahum is not like Kaya...nor Zeb like Tavi. They are created uniquely each with their own gifts to bring. With each passing meal, we grow, we mature as a family. Our unit gets closer and the bond stronger.

The verse that is most striking to me in this passage of Ephesians is verse 13, "...until we all reach unity in the faith in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." It is in this unity, this working together, that we mature in Christ. It's when we work in our giftings, to benefit the body, that we mature. It's not sitting in a pew and digesting what is being preached, it's in operating in that gift God's given "so that the body of Christ may be built up" v. 12.

"But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it." We've all been given a gift, not just some chosen few. We need each other to operate in that gifting. If some don't, then we are not a healthy body...or a body reaching it's full potential. We will be stuck as infants being tossed by what life hands us...unless everyone participates.

Tonight when I sit at the table with my kids, I will listen. I will learn from my kids. I will participate and give. I will share with them what I have learned...and together we will grow.

No comments: